Happy birthday Blog!
I can’t believe how fast time has gone! It’s been two years to this day when I wrote my first blog post for Stuffed. I can’t express how happy this online space has made me; it’s been my source of therapy, means to pursue my passion and the one place I can freely talk about food as much as I like! It truly has been a rewarding experience, so please excuse me if my ramblings today resemble that of an award speech.
Stuffed was initially shared with my family and friends; it didn’t have a huge audience to start. I was determined to pursue my dream of writing about food in some way, and my core supporters have been pretty determined to help! I must say, it is because of my core support team sharing every post on Facebook, email or through their word of mouth that Stuffed has grown so much. So, I have to say “thanks” to all of the supporters out there, who religiously come onto my blog, actually read the little stories and even try out some of the recipes.
My passion for home cooking started at a very young age; it’s as if I was born to talk about food and eat a lot of it too! Each of my family members has their own collection of recipes from magazines, friends and family, and I have always considered our family recipe files to be treasures. Sharing recipes has always been something my family does, and it’s a tradition I wanted to carry on. That and the fact that it kills me to keep good secrets to myself; especially if it’s about food! I have to thank all the friends and family who have willingly shared their treasured family recipes with me.
I warned you that this post was going to resemble an award speech, but before I get too “gooey” for your liking; I think I will rather share something that oozes gooey yumminess! This deep fried brie with cranberry jelly, may not be to everyone’s taste but it certainly is a treat most people order at restaurants. It’s certainly a treat for me and I thought the perfect dish to celebrate a birthday and this milestone with.
Deep Fried Brie with cranberry Jelly
1 Wedge Brie Cheese
½ Cup Plain flour
½ Cup Breadcrumbs
Oil (to deep fry)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, whisk the egg well and add salt and pepper.
2. In another bowl or plate, place flour.
3. In another bowl or plate place the breadcrumbs.
4. Dunk the brie wedge into the whisked egg, make sure it is coated in egg.
5. Once the brie wedge is coated in egg, place in the flour and ensure the wedge is coated in flour.
6. Take the flour coated brie wedge and dunk it back into the egg mixture.
7. Once the wedge is coated in egg again, place the brie wedge on the breadcrumbs and make sure every corner is coated in breadcrumbs.
8. Heat a pot of oil; once oil is hot, gently place the brie wedge in.
9. Fry until golden brown.
10. Serve immediately.
Note: Deep fried brie is best served with cranberry jelly or sweet chilli and a side of warm toasted slices of bread.