I would love to win with the Hot Potato Blogger Challenge because this breakfast hash in a mug is going to change mornings. The inspiration came from the trend of having food like cakes in a mug or jar. I am also not huge into frying eggs; when there is oil and heat, I know it’s going to crackle, fizz and spit ferocious hot oil back at me. This breakfast in a mug kind of eliminates that problem. Although you will use a pan and heated oil to fry up a few things, it’s not intense or dangerous.
Great idea for a house full of people or families on the go.
Wake up knowing wholesome nosh is a mug away!
4 Baby potatoes, quartered
½ onion, sliced
2 Black mushrooms, sliced
Salt & Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Bacon rashes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. In a bowl, place quartered potatoes and pour water in until just covering potatoes. Place in a microwave for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
3. In a sauce pan, heat olive oil, and fry the onions until translucent on a medium heat.
4. Add the potatoes, fry for 5 to 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
5. Spoon potato and onions into mugs.
6. In the same sauce pan, fry the mushrooms until soft.
7. Top the mugs up with the mushrooms.
8. Crack an egg into each mug; note the egg might drop to the bottom.
9. Place in the oven for about 10 – 15 minutes; (you will notice the egg white become more prominent, rather than translucent).
10. While the eggs are baking in the oven; quickly fry the 2 bacon rashes in the already used saucepan until crisp. Drain on a paper roller towel; set aside to serve with your breakfast mugs.