I would love to win with the Hot Potato Blogger Challenge because the potato recipes I’m sharing are awesome and easy to make. The minute I entered this competition, friends and family automatically said I have to make a potato bake. Although the potato bakes I’ve learnt from my Mom, Shane’s Mom and my Gran rock; I thought to create something new. Inspired by a picture my Gran sent me, I thought to create my own version of a potato bake with mushrooms and bacon; I mean who can go wrong with that combo?
So here is a new ‘twist’ for a potato bake
3 – 4 Medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 punnet Black mushrooms, roughly sliced
1 Packet Streaky Bacon, roughly chopped
1 Block Feta cheese
½ Red onion, sliced
½ tsp Crushed garlic
Salt and Pepper
1 Tbls Olive oil
1 tsp Rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 180® C.
2. Put the peeled and cubed potatoes in a pot, fill the pot with water until it just covers the potatoes; boil on stove on a medium to high heat for 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and keep aside.
Note: you don’t want the potatoes too soft, you still want them to keep its form.
3. While the potatoes are boiling, using a saucepan, heat olive oil on a medium heat on stove and fry the onions.
4. When the onions become softer, add the chopped bacon and fry for 3 minutes or until slightly cooked.
5. Add the mushrooms and crushed garlic into the same saucepan and fry until the mushrooms become softer, about 2 minutes.
6. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir into the mixture.
7. Remove the mixture from the heat and crumble in the block of feta cheese. Stir into the mixture.
8. Pour the bacon/mushroom mixture into a shallow oven proof dish.
9. Having drained the cubed potatoes, layer them on top of the bacon/mushroom mixture. Ensure it is evenly distributed to ensure the top is covered with potatoes and sprinkle with some rosemary and a pinch of salt.
10. Place the potato dish into the preheated oven and allow to bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the potato layer becomes crispy and golden.