I would love to win with the Hot Potato Blogger Challenge because a meal without potatoes, in my book, just doesn’t feel complete.
Who can say no to a hearty and robust potato and carrot soup? When winter comes around the corner, which it pretty much is, you’ll be glad I shared this warming and nutritious dish. Although it may take some time to make, it is well worth the wait and is great to make a day before or makes for effortless cooking.
Giving this robust soup a twist; instead of bread to soak and scoop up the goodness; I thought it better to add a crispy texture of homemade crispy potato ‘chips’. Go on, try it; you’ll love it!
1kg Potatoes, peeled & quartered
1 Large Red onion, chopped
2 Large Carrots, peeled & thickly sliced
3 Large Celery stalks, thickly sliced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 – 2 tsp crushed sea salt
1 – 2 tsp crushed peppercorns
1 tsp Rosemary
1 Litre water
2 tsp Veg stock, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1 Potato, peeled and thinly sliced
1. In a large pot, pour the olive oil in and heat on a medium to high heat.
2. Once the oil is hot, fry the onions for 2 minutes.
3. Add the celery, stir with the onion and continue to fry for a minute.
4. Add the carrots, stir into the onions and celery and fry for two minutes.
5. Add the quartered potatoes, stir and mix into the onion, celery and carrots.
6. Turn the heat down to a medium heat, put a lid on the pot and allow the ingredients to fry for a further 10 minutes.
7. Take the lid off, stir the mixture and then add the water and vegetable stock.
8. Stir and mix well.
9. Turn the heat up a notch and bring to a boil.
10. Once the mixture has come to a boil, turn the heat down to a low heat, stir and then place the lid back on and allow the mixture to simmer for 1 ½ hours.
11. Occasionally stir.
12. Once the time is up, the potatoes and carrots should be soft.
13. Take off the heat and blend.
14. Be sure to taste the soup, this is generally when I add salt and pepper; put the pot back on the heat and stir in the seasoning.
15. Once the soup has the right amount of seasoning, take off the heat and serve with garnish.
1. Preheat the oven to 180® C.
2. Lay the thinly sliced potatoes on a tray.
3. Coat then lightly with olive oil.
4. Place in the oven and cook until golden brown and crisp (About 15 – 20 minutes)