I would love to win with the Hot Potato Blogger Challenge because this dish proves how healthy potatoes can be used… I am a seafood lover; add potatoes to the mix and you have me sold on any dish. I am always trying to find new ways to cook with fish… I mean don’t get me wrong, having it deep fried or lightly fried is good, but I know there is more to fish than those popular ways of making them. So out of my food obsessed mind I came up with this dish from ingredients I’d normally have in the fridge. I wanted this dish to be healthy and practical for busy families.
4 Hake fillets
1 Cup Spinach, roughly chopped
½ Red Pepper, roughly sliced/chopped
½ Red Onion, roughly sliced
5 – 6 New Potatoes, washed and quartered
2 tsp Olive oil
Tin foil/baking paper
Salt & Pepper
1 – 2 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180® C.
2. In a pot, add the washed and quartered potatoes and fill with water until potatoes are just covered. On a medium to high heat, boil for 15 minutes, until ‘el dente’. Drain and keep aside.
3. Place the washed and roughly chopped spinach at the bottom of a shallow oven proof dish.
4. Layer the red pepper and onion on top of the spinach.
5. Layer the par-boiled, quartered potatoes on top of the pepper and onion layer.
6. Place the hake fillets on top of the potatoes.
7. Drizzle olive oil over the fish, add salt and pepper.
8. Cover the fish dish with tin foil or baking paper, and poke one to two holes to allow the dish to steam.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
10. Take the dish out and take the paper/tin foil off. You can put the dish back in the oven for 3 – 5 minutes to brown.
11. Serve straight away with a little drizzle of freshly squeezed lemon juice.