It’s almost Father’s Day and I know Dad’s enjoy hearty food. Well, I definitely know my Dad does! Over the next day or two I will be sharing Dad approved meals to make sure the man of the moment is well fed this weekend.
This seafood bake was given to me by my neighbour who had it sent to him by Chef Alpheus from Kingsway Hospital. Before I go any further, this dish does not resemble boring hospital food. It’s really hearty and delish; ideal for Dads that love seafood.
Let’s stop talking and rather drool over this yummy dish… oh and did I mention it is something super quick and easy to make? Yup, I’m not only thinking of the Dad’s here… wink wink…
700g Seafood Mix
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 block of Parmesan cheese (or Cheddar cheese)
¼ tsp English hot mustard
Aromat, salt & pepper to taste
3 ½ (rounded) tsp Maizina, dissolved in a bit of water
2 – 3 Sprigs of Fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. In a saucepan, pour in the milk, mustard, aromat and seasoning.
3. Heat on the stove on a medium to high heat; continuously stirring to ensure the milk does not stick to the bottom.
4. Once the milk has reached boiling point, add in the dissolved maizina and continue stirring over heat until thickened.
5. Take the white sauce off the heat and then add in your cheese and parsley. Stir until the cheese has melted in evenly.
6. Set the cheese sauce aside.
7. In a separate saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil and fry the onions on a medium heat.
8. Once the onions are translucent or glossy, add the crushed garlic. And fry for a minute.
9. Add in the seafood mix. (Make sure the mixture is defrosted and has been rinsed in water and drained).
10. Fry the seafood mix for a few minutes until the seafood is almost ready.
11. When the seafood is almost ready, mix in the cheese sauce with it, and place the mixture in an oven proof dish.
12. Sprinkle over some cheese and bake in the oven for 5 – 7 minutes.
13. Serve with a fresh salad on the side, and your choice of starch.