Following the Cooking up Inspiration with Cappeny Estates owner Xolani Gumede, I thought this recipe would be great to share, as it is topped with fresh strawberries and a few other delicious things!
Can I let you in on a secret… I only ever tasted Nutella in my late 20’s. Since then it’s become a treat of mine and whatever recipe I hear has Nutella in it, I know it’s worthy of the share. Let’s face it, you can’t go wrong with it.
I tested this recipe out for my Dad’s birthday meal. Instead of the traditional birthday cake I thought I’d try something different. Although we managed to get through starters and a roast main with all the trimmings (and then some), Dad and I also forced some of this down. After all, it had been teasing us the whole day!
This is a great recipe to make before the time and just before serving you add your choice of tasty toppings (more Nutella is always welcome at this point).
Here’s the tasty treat…
4 Large egg whites, room temperature
1 Cup castor sugar
1 tsp White vinegar
½ Tbsp Cornstarch
½ tsp Vanilla essence
2 – 3 Tablespoons Nutella, heated in the microwave for a few seconds to make runny
250ml Whipping cream
1/2 Punnet strawberries
A few Blackberries
A few dried cranberries
Handful Diced Almonds
2 Tablespoons Nutella, heated in microwave for a few seconds to make runny
1. Preheat oven to 140 degrees.
2. Using an electric beater, beat the egg whites in a metal bowl until they form soft peaks.
3. Once at a soft peak stage, start gradually adding the sugar into the egg whites while still continuously beating the eggs. (do not just clump all the sugar in the bowl at once).
4. Your egg whites will become glossy and form stiff peaks.
5. Add the cornstarch and vinegar and fold in gently.
6. Add the vanilla essence and Nutella and fold gently into the stiff egg whites.
7. Use a large flat baking pan, layer baking paper on the base and spread the meringue in a circular shape or in smalled circular shapes. Make sure the edges are higher and the middle has a bit of dip.
8. Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
9. Once the time is up, open the oven door ajar for the meringue to slowly cool it down. Note: as the meringue cools down it will crack.
10. Once the meringue is room temperature, place on a serving plate.
11. Warm up the Nutella and drizzle over the base of the pavlova.
12. Whip the cream until stiff peak stage and spread on top of the pavlova.
13. Cut strawberries and sprinkle on the top, along with blackberries, almonds, cranberries and a splash of whatever Nutella is left.