I wish I could tell you that the first time I tried Thai beef salad was in Thailand… but instead it was at one of my most favourite restaurants in Durban. Unfortunately, the restaurant closed down… but the idea of that salad stuck in my head all these years. So much so, that I attempted to make it the other night.
It brought back some fond and tasty memories. When you first look at it, you might think how can one person consume that much coriander and mint in one helping? Honestly, all the ingredients work so well together. It really is a balance of fresh ingredients.
With the hot weather coming our way, why not change up the menu with this delightful salad? Just an idea… use it… or don’t…
Thai Beef Salad
1 Handful Coriander, roughly chopped
1 Handful Mint, roughly chopped
1 Medium Tomato, sliced
½ Onion, sliced
½ Cup Carrot, grated (optional)
100g Beef, precooked and sliced
1 Red chilli, deseeded and sliced
½ lemon (to serve)
2 teaspoons Brown sugar
1 – 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander
1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
½ teaspoon Garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon Ginger, minced
- For the dressing, add all ingredients together, mix well until most of the sugar has dissolved.
- In a bowl mix the coriander, mint, onion and carrot (optional) together. Pour 2 – 3 teaspoons of the dressing over and mix together – make sure it is evenly coated.
- Place coriander, mint, onion and carrot (optional) on a plate. Top with tomato, steak and chilli.
- Pour over a bit of the dressing – make sure to get the garlic and ginger.
- Serve with lemon wedges for extra zing.